CTD Holdings, a biotech company based in Alachua, Florida first approached neutral7 to assist in developing a visual brand for the 18th International Cyclodextrin Symposium (ICS 18). ICS 18 is a biennial meeting where academic and industry researchers from around the globe come together to discuss the latest developments in cyclodextrin research and applications. Attendees include biologists, chemists, material scientists, and engineers.
In meeting with CTD Holdings we learned that although the International Cyclodextrin Symposium is a well-established event, there has never been a consistent visual brand. CTD Holdings was positioned to develop a brand which could potentially be carried on by future organizers of the Symposium. ICS 18 required an engaging brand that would draw audiences from around the globe and also help solidify CTD Holdings’ positioning as an industry leader within the cyclodextrin community.
After working with the team at CTD Holdings to identify key opportunities for the event, we established some objectives:
- The brand should engage and connect the sought audience while expressing the boundless possibilities of cyclodextrin applications.
- The brand should reference CTD Holdings to further solidify the company’s position as a leader within this community.
- The brand should be flexible and adaptable so that future organizers can easily carry it on.
Based on these objectives, we developed some tactics to keep in mind as we began to develop the visual identity:
- Engage and unify the audience and industry through the use of a static universal industry symbol and set up consistency rules for the future.
- Use this symbol as the focal point in the ICS 18 logo which would predominantly showcase the event taking place state of Florida.
We developed a static brand that would be unchanging and could be utilized for future events. The static branding consists of an icon and typographical element that unify the industry under a single mark. Next we created an evolving brand for ICS 18, utilizing the static brand elements in tandem with materials specific to the event itself. While the look and feel can evolve with each subsequent Symposium the elements of the static brand will always be present.